and it's day 5! (and friday too!) knit + crochet design week has been great so far and i'm so happy i decided to participate. all of the designers have been working on such unique projects and the information on design process shared has been awesome.
today's prompt is to share any bumps along the road in your design process...
i was worried about today's post because i knew it was going to be thunderstormy and overcast all day, and getting the detail photos i need is going to be a challenge. my original idea was to talk about the problems i ran into while throwing a different yarn into the mix to create eyes for my 'puffy' fish. as i mentioned before during yarn selection the baby wool is a little lighter and using my usual acrylic worsted white + black for the eyes was not going to work. my test eye came out too bulky and the stitches looked almost double in size, not pretty.
it took some searching and comparing at the store yesterday but i was able to find something that paired up nicely weight/feel wise. it's still acrylic but has a "stain" finish which is nice because i like my eyes to be a little shiny.
(shoutout to my little miss who let me search for this 45 minutes away in paramus without putting up an ounce of fight... sometimes she just gets me!)
so all yesterday evening i was trying to figure out how to get really close photos to show the yarn comparisons of a white and black yarn, not easy, especially without natural light... when another problem popped up! proportion!
sorry for the camera photos but this was kind of late last night... i realized as i started assembling the face that i really didn't like the proportion of the features to the body. i really liked the size of the lips so i didn't want to frog them to try to make them smaller, but stitching up a bigger body is super easy so...
now i didn't have to pull out the whole sphere but (did i mention it was late) i wasn't able to completely read back in the work to find the ending stitch of the last increase so i just pulled it out and started over. in retrospect i could have just pulled it out until the second to last increase of the last increase row and stitch the last side of 10 on the hexagon, but that is way too smart of an idea for me after 9pm.
i'll update a little more as i finish up the bigger body!
i'm hoping that today clears up a little bit but a rainy day with little miss means staying in pjs all day and getting some serious playtime + stitching time in!